things to study for Thursday
5.1-5.2 & 6.1-6.2
Key concepts: atoms, atoms, atoms, atomic
models, atomic history, atomic parts, the periodic table, isotopes, etc...
Expect: some Q's like/about
- Make the distinctions between the following words by using them in
sentences or by making drawings (Show they are similar and different): Atom,
- What are the parts of the atom (as we know it today)?
- What are the relative masses and charges of the parts of the atom?
- What is an amu?
- Why is the atomic mass on the periodic table a decimal?
- What would happen to Hg if we could remove 1 proton? Why?
- What would happen to Hg if we could remove 1 neutron? Why?
- Why are elements put into families in the periodic table?
- Compare and contrast the noble gas family with the alkali metal family.
- Know what the "scrabble tile" of any element tells you and how
to draw a Bohr model based on it. Do this for: Carbon, Nitrogen,
- Know the History of the Atom – Who? What? Where? Why? When? How?
- What did JJ Thompson think the atom was made of?
- What is Ernest Rutherford’s experiment and what conclusions did
he make from his experiment?
- What is an isotope?
- What is the difference between 92U235 and 92U238?
What do they have in common?
- How many p+, n, and e- are in each of the above?
- What "semi-all-star" group recorded the song "Radioactive"?