- 100 mL beaker
- copper sulfate solution
- iron nail
- filter paper
- Add 30 mL of copper sulfate solution (CuSO4(aq)) to a 100
- Place an iron nail into the solution
- Set aside for about 20 minutes
- Carefully lift the nail out of the solution with a pair of tongs
- Place it on a piece of filter paper and observe
- Wash hands thoroughly.
- 10 cm magnesium
- burning splint
- watch glass
- Receive a 10 cm strip of magnesium (Mg) from the teacher
- Hold one end of the Mg strip with a pair of tongs
- Light a burning splint
- Use the burning splint to light the free end of the Mg strip
- Hold the Mg strip over a watch glass to collect the residue
DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY INTO THE FLAME!
- Observe the residue.